30 January 2013

Translation is not about words. It’s about what the words are about.

Great title. Excellent article.
Read it here.

In response to a reader comment, Kevin Hendzel writes:
"My core belief is actually a bit more radical. I believe that translation is essentially all about content and subject-matter expertise and really about nothing else at all. The language aspect of translation is trivial. (You heard it here first.)"

I think 'trivial' is too strong, but I agree with what he says. Perhaps 'less important' would have suited me better. As a translator that has focused on a single (though admittedly broad) subject for over 15 years, I also believe that I practise when Kevin preaches.

ChatGPT, a drafting aid for translation by emulation

On 17 October 2011, I published the first of two posts summarising my general approach to the type of translation/adaptation services I was ...